Thursday 12 July 2012

Mahatma Gandhi quotes 2


“I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world.”

“In doing something, do it with love or never do it at all.”

“There is no 'way to peace,' there is only 'peace.”

“The day the power of love overrules the love of power, the world will know peace.”

“My imperfections and failures are as much a blessing from God as my successes and my talents and I lay them both at his feet.”

“Faith is not something to grasp, it is a state to grow into.”

“To my mind, the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being.”

“The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles."


(Young India, 22 October 1925)”

“(When asked what he thought of Western civilization): 'I think it would be a good idea.”

“They cannot take away our self respect if we do not give it to them.”

“Always aim at complete harmony of thought and word and deed. Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will be well.”

“A 'No' uttered from the deepest conviction is better than a 'Yes' merely uttered to please, or worse, to avoid trouble.”

“If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.”

“A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.”

“If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with the children.”

“To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man's injustice to woman. If by strength is meant brute strength, then, indeed, is woman less brute than man. If by strength is meant moral power, then woman is immeasurably man's superior. Has she not greater intuition, is she not more self-sacrificing, has she not greater powers of endurance, has she not greater courage? Without her, man could not be. If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman. Who can make a more effective appeal to the heart than woman?”

“Silence becomes cowardice when occasion demands speaking out the whole truth and acting accordingly.”

“Seek not greater wealth, but simpler pleasure; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity.”

“Poverty is the worst form of violence.”

“Power is of two kinds. One is obtained by the fear of punishment and the other by acts of love. Power based on love is a thousand times more effective and permanent then the one derived from fear of punishment.”

“I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.”

“Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always.”
― , Gandhi
“The simplest acts of kindness are by far more powerful then a thousand heads bowing in prayer.”

“It is easier to build a boy, than to mend a man.”

“In a gentle way, you can shake the world.”

“The expert knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing.”

“Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.”

“I came to the conclusion long ago that all religions were true and that also that all had some error in them, and while I hold by my own religion, I should hold other religions as dear as Hinduism. So we can only pray, if we were Hindus, not that a Christian should become a Hindu; but our innermost prayer should be that a Hindu should become a better Hindu, a Muslim a better Muslim, and a Christian a better Christian.”

“Nothing is so aggravating as calmness.”

“I call him religious who understands the suffering of others.”

“Nonviolence is a weapon of the strong.”
― , The Words of Gandhi
“I cannot conceive of a greater loss than the loss of one's self-respect.”
― , Fools, Martyrs, Traitors: The Story of Martyrdom in the Western World
“When every hope is gone, 'when helpers fail and comforts flee,' I find that help arrives somehow, from I know not where. Supplication, worship, prayer are no superstition; they are acts more real than the acts of eating, drinking, sitting or walking. It is no exaggeration to say that they alone are real, all else is unreal.”
― , The Story of My Experiments With Truth
“There is force in the universe, which, if we permit it, will flow through us and produce miraculous results.”

“I cannot teach you violence, as I do not myself believe in it. I can only teach you not to bow your heads before any one even at the cost of your life.”

“The path is the goal.”

“I want freedom for the full expression of my personality.”
― , The Essential Gandhi
“I must say that, beyond occasionally exposing me to laughter, my constitutional shyness has been no dis-advantage whatever. In fact I can see that, on the contrary, it has been all to my advantage. My hesitancy in speech, which was once an annoyance, is now a pleasure. Its greatest benefit has been that it has taught me the economy of words. I have naturally formed the habit of restraining my thoughts. And I can now give myself the certificate that a thoughtless word hardly ever escapes my tongue or pen. I do not recollect ever having had to regret anything in my speech or writing. I have thus been spared many a mishap and waste of time. Experience has taught my that silence is part of the spiritual discipline of a votary of truth. Proneness to exaggerate, to suppress or modify the truth, wittingly or unwittingly, is a natural weakness of man, and silence is necessary in order to surmount it. A man of few words will rarely be thoughtless in his speech; he will measure every word. We find so many people impatient to talk. There is no chairman of a meeting who is not pestered with notes for permission to speak. And whenever the permission is given the speaker generally exceeds the time-limit, asks for more time, and keeps on talking without permission. All this talking can hardly be said to be of any benefit to the world. It is so much waste of time. My shyness has been in reality my shield and buckler. It has allowed me to grow. It has helped me in my discernment of truth.”

“The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.”

“There are many causes I would die for. There is not a single cause I would kill for.”

“Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are dyed red with innocent blood.”

“The inner voice is something which cannot be described in words. But sometimes we have a positive feeling that something in us prompts us to do a certain thing. The time when I learnt to recognise this voice was, I may say, the time when I started praying regularly.”

“What barrier is there that love cannot break?”
― , The Story of My Experiments With Truth
“There is no such thing as ‘too insane’ unless others turn up dead due to your actions.”

“Each one has to find his peace from within. And peace to be real must be unaffected by outside circumstances.”

“Fearlessness is the first requisite of spirituality. Cowards can never be moral.”

“It is wrong and immoral to seek to escape the consequences of one's acts.”

“Ethically they had arrived at the conclusion that man's supremacy over lower animals meant not that the former should prey upon the latter, but that the higher should protect the lower, and that there should be mutual aid between the two as between man and man. They had also brought out the truth that man eats not for enjoyment but to live.”

“Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening.”

“No one can ride on the back of a man unless it is bent.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Mbc Stream