Friday 13 July 2012

Abraham Lincoln Quotes 2


“He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help.”
―  
“I have come to the conclusion never again to think of marrying, and for this reason, I can never be satisfied with anyone who would be blockhead enough to have me.”
―  
“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.”
―  
“No man has a good enough memory to be a successful liar”
―  
“The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.”
―  
“Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.”
―  

“No matter how much the cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens. ”
―  
“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.”
―  
“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.”
―  
“I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”
―  
“Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
―  
“I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it.”
―  
“I am not concerned that you have fallen -- I am concerned that you arise.”
―  
“It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.”
―  
“You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot further brotherhoold of man by encouraging class hatred.
You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away men's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.”
―  
“My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure.”
―  
“The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession.”
― ,
“Those who write clearly have readers, those who write obscurely have commentators.”
―  
“Stand with anyone that is right; stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.”
―  
“Take all that you can of this book upon reason, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier man. (When a skeptic expressed surprise to see him reading a Bible)”
―  
“To ease another’s heartache is to forget one’s own.”
―  
“In this sad world of ours sorrow comes to all and it often comes with bitter agony. Perfect relief is not possible except with time. You cannot now believe that you will ever feel better. But this is not true. You are sure to be happy again. Knowing this, truly believing it will make you less miserable now. I have had enough experience to make this statement.”
―  
“You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry”
―  
“I don't know who my grandfather was; I am much more concerned to know what his grandson will be.”
―  
“Republicans are for both the man and the dollar, but in case of conflict the man before the dollar.”
―  
“All I have learned, I learned from books.”
―  
“My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it.”
―  
“Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves, and, under a just God cannot retain it.”
―  
“The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not to deter us
from the support of a cause we believe to be just.”
―  
“Elections belong to the people. It's their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.”
―  
“I do the very best I know how, the very best I can, and I mean to keep on doing so until the end.”
―  
“The ballot is stronger than the bullet.”
―  
“You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.”
―  
“The things I want to know are in books. My best friend is the man who'll get me a book I haven't read.”
―  
“If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will.”
―  
“I would rather be a little nobody, then to be a evil somebody.”
―  
“The best way to predict your future is to create it”
―  
“It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words, "And this too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction!”
―  
“Get books, sit yourself down anywhere, and go to reading them yourself.”
―  
“Live a good life. In the end it is not the years in a life, but the life in the years.”
―  
“Congressmen who willfully take action during wartime that damages morale and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled, or hung”
―  
“This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can excersize their Constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.”
―  
“Allow the President to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such purpose -- and you allow him to make war at pleasure. . . . If, today, he should choose to say he thinks it necessary to invade Canada to prevent the British from invading us, how could you stop him? You may say to him, 'I see no probability of the British invading us'; but he will say to you, 'Be silent; I see it, if you don't.”
―  
“Lets have faith that right makes might; and in that faith let us, to the end, dare to do our duty as we understand it.”
―  
“With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.”
―  
“The worst thing you can do for anyone
you care about is anything that they can do on their own.”
―  
“You destroy your enemy when you make him your friend.”
―  
“The greatest fine art of the future will be the making of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.”
―  


1 comments:

  1. Really great collection of abraham lincoln quotes, thank you so much for posting this quotes,
    abraham lincoln quotes

    ReplyDelete

Mbc Stream